A New Online Community for Those Who Work with Young People
The United Methodist Young People's Ministry of the General Board of Discipleship has created the Field Guide Network, an online community seeking to strengthen connections among those who serve young people in the church and connect them with capable mentors experienced in particular areas of ministry.
Anyone can visit www.fieldguideumc.org, search a network of approved "field guides" by areas of expertise, geography, or ministry context, and submit an online request for a short-term mentoring relationship.
Confirmation Curriculum from the Oklahoma Conference
Churches who have confirmation classes that are for five or less participants may apply for free confirmation curriculum from the Youth Ministries office.
The curriculum will be available in September 2012.
To register for the curriculum: apply here.
- Oklahoma Conference Addiction Ministries Web site
- www.abovetheinfluence.com answers to questions drugs and alcohol
- The Cool Spot - National Institute on Alcohol Abuse
- How Alcohol Affects the Adolescent Brain
Believe Curriculum has been created for use with youth and young adults. It can be used by youth groups, campus ministries, and any group that is looking for different ways to teach about the Christian faith and what it means to love God and neighbor.
Bible Studies for Youth
www.BeADisciple.com is the host site for Youth Disciple Online and is a joint ministry of the Institute for Discipleship (IFD) and the Center for Youth Ministry Excellence (CYMX). It is provided for $35 per youth and is designed to help high school students learn and love the scriptures. This interactive small group experience is a great way to walk through the Bible over the course of year together. IFD and CYMX are affiliated ministries of Southwestern College, a United Methodist institute of higher education founded in 1885 in Winfield, Kansas.
Facilitator training for Youth Disciple Online (YDO) is now available. It is online and self paced so if fits any schedule. Leading High School youth through Disciple online would be a great ministry for youth workers of all types; paid and volunteer. http://www.beadisciple.com/workshops.html#youthdiscipleonline
Continue the Journey
re:form Ancestors is a youth Bible study that explores the ancestors of our faith by exposing the real,
unpolished and unexpected personalities of Old and New Testament Bible characters. With re:form Ancestors, youth discover similarities between
themselves and the many unlikely people selected by God to do extraordinary things.
is a spiritual formation program designed by the Upper Room, to bring youth closer to Christ. It is for high school youth sophomores through seniors. Journey is for youth who are in college.
Youth who have been to Chrysalis or Journey may join the "Heartland Chrysalis" facebook page. They will receive updates and announcements and be able to connect with other youth who have gone to Chrysalis.
If you have any questions about Chrysalis Flights, contact Rev. Dawn Richards at email@example.com
Food for Orphans
Food for Orphans supplies the funds to purchase food for orphans around the world. Usually, food is purchased locally in their village, but sometimes we ship the food to the orphan project. For more information about this ministry see these links.
Forms Local Church Youth Ministry
- Generic Parental Medical Consent Form (PDF)
- Safe Sanctuary Screenings
- Example Custody release form (for camp/event use)
- Teen Pregnancy Prevention Contact: Sharon Rodine, Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy (405)236-5437 Ext. 108; firstname.lastname@example.org
Magazines & Newsletters
- Information youth ministries
E-News from the General Board of Discipleship
- YouthWorkers Journal
- Orientation Magazine for High School Grads
Leading Ideas (Lewis Center for Church Leadership)
Characteristics of a Healthy Youth Ministry
UM Related Web sites
- Safe Sanctuaries (Oklahoma Conference)
- Wired Safety
- Love our children usa
- Understanding the Internet - A resource for parents to better understand frequented Internet sites of children
- Net Safe Kids A parents guide to protecting their children both on the Internet and in the community.
- Police Notebook A thorough look at what Identity theft is, how it happens, and how to prevent it
- Parents' Guide to Internet Safety The FBI'scomprehensive look at how to keep children safe on the Internet
- Children on the Internet Numerous stats on where, when, and how often children use the Internet
- K-12 Internet Stats Stats on children and teen Internet usage
- Internet Crimes Against Children Stats on crimes against children as reported by the Arizona Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) Task Force
- Online Bullying Tips to help when children are bullied online
- The Internet: A Breeding Ground for Online Pedophiles Article about pedophiles on the Internet
- Violence Against Children in Cyberspace Article about the various forms of violence toward children on the Internet
Retreat Led by Youth for Younger Youth
Here is an idea that is working really well for one local congregation that you might use as a model. It seems like a great way local congregations can strengthen and expand their youth ministries through spiritual life retreats. Read more here (also see Transitioning to the T'weens PDF flyer for more information)
- The National Study of Youth and Religion "Religion and Spirituality on the Path Through Adolescence" from The National Study of Youth and Religion
- How American teens navigate the new world of "digital citizenship" Pew Reports
UMC social community for youth- Orangefloat
serves as a "meet us/learn more" site where teens can find out what it means to be part of a dynamic youth faith group and to be a United Methodist.
United Methodist Youth Handbook by Micheal Selleck
This Youth ministry handbook is written for United Methodist youth and adults. This is your handbook. The intent is to help leaders, in response to God's guidance, discover a vision for ministry with youth. It is also meant to be a practical guide to help plan and implement effective youth ministry in local congregations.
United Methodist youth worker movement
Find program ideas and advice. Sign up today at this link:
We Love Our Youth Worker
The Covenant started as an idea in the UK in 2007 through conversations with youth workers about the experience of working in a church. All felt passionate about working with young people and committed to serving the churches that were paying them, but their experiences of being supported were mixed. Often it was simply because churches weren't aware of some of the pressures and issues the youth workers faced.
read more here >>>> Resources for healtheir youth workers and ministries
Youth People's Ministries
The Division on Ministries with Young People was created to connect young people and those in ministries with young people to each other, to the church, and to God.
Youth People's Ministries
- Smartphone Etiquette -- a new study for parents of teens.
A phone can enhance communication and relationships. However, this technology can also take teens places parents do not want them to go.
There are numerous stories in the news and from fellow parents about teens using their smartphones for sexting (sending sexually explicit messages) and for cheating during tests.
Additionally, these phones can hurt a teen's relationships with friends and family if it becomes a replacement for close connections with others.
While technologies benefit us in so many ways, we also need to be aware of their dangers.